When I started doing the re-conversion from ODT back to HTML, I thought I was going to have to go through every verse and add the verse bookmarks manually (i.e., so you can use something like “john.htm#3:16” to access a specific verse).

Looks like I was able to ease that a bit by cutting a chapter into a separate file, then doing a single replace.  I’ve got 9 books converted already and it shouldn’t take too long before the rest of the New Testament is fixed.  (I still have to manually mark italics and indents.  That’s not nearly as painful.)

A lot of the skeleton formatting’s done too – the headings and boilerplate.

I’m thinking that for every time I have to make revisions (hopefully not often), I’ll make a dead tree edition (at least paperback if not hardback as well), upload the PDF from which the dead tree edition is produced, synch up the HTML folder, and offer that for online and offline viewing.  (I’m not a Web 2.0 person.  My code is old-fashioned HTML 3.2.)  That should cover most bases.  Once the edition I put in dead tree a week ago is up, I’ll officially open the website there, and then I can get to work on writing notes to include in a future release.  (I plan to offer editions with and without notes.  A lot of people seem to think marginalia indicate an uncertainty in the translation, as if the text didn’t stand on its own; this is the main reason why I did not include such notes from the beginning.)

I’m sure many people think I’m trying to make money off this.  I wouldn’t do that.  (For one, it would actually hurt me with every penny I would make off such an endeavor.)  I have a virtual server on a friend’s host which I pay him monthly for, and I pay for my domain annually, and this comes out of my own wallet.  Dead tree copies are sold for exactly what the printer charges.  I wouldn’t dream of having it any other way.

Advertisements